Friday, February 15, 2008

The Week That Was 2-15-08




Eew. Just Eew. The short and sweet? Some good things--tried Microphotography (well, sort of), finished Castle Diary, Film Buff took a practice SAT Critical Reading and didn't do abysmally, Sky is safe. Valentine's was ok, and Lost featured Sayid. Small mercies.

Our family is pretty on edge right now. Film Buff is a little disrespectful, my fuse is a little short, Nature Girl is still having some, I don't know, respect issues? Anxiety? Growing Pains? She's really such a tender little thing that anything like that is unusual, but, I feel, must be nipped in the bud. I'm careful not to slam her when she says negative things, but I also want to teach her to tame her tongue, to work hard (not fall apart if things don't come easily), and to trust us and God, that we will do our best by her. We're having kinda a...um..."human" week.

One fun thing we did was to observe crystals with the Tasco Microscope. (We found we could get the light to work by beating it against the table...) The experiment involved observing salt and sugar thru the microscope, and then describing and comparing the shapes, clarity, etc. I thought it might be fun to see if we could hold the digital camera up to the eyepiece and see if we could get a picture or two. The light finally gave out, so Nature Girl is holding a flashlight on the microscope so I could take the picture. Next up will be actually watching crystals form. I just love the Home Science Adventures Micro Kit!

Not much else I can say. Sky is in JDC for a month. We have new information that leads us to believe we may have to find another placement for him. It is heartbreaking, as we thought he might be coming home in a month. Those who pray, please do. God is so very faithful. Information came to us in the nick of time today, and in a curious way. God's timing is perfect.

Hope your eyes stay open to the blessings around you. Trust Him--He is Good.


5 comments:

my5wolfcubs said...

Oh, we'll have to try this! So did you just set the camera on the eye piece?
Glad to hear Sky is safe and God is good. :)
Lee

Lisa~ said...

((Hug)) God is good and I am the praying kind! You are in my thoughts....

Lisa~

Tina Puntigam said...

I was trying to figure out which was salt and which was sugar.


I will pray for you!

Chris said...

Mama,
the top one is sugar (I think) and the bottom has both. Salt is cloudy and cubic. Sugar is clear and has a rectangular prism shape whose name I can't recall--guess I should redo the lesson! Something like monoclinic.
(well, that doesn't sound right, either! Sugar with Mono? lol)
The sugar's shape seems more easily broken.
HTH
Chris

Tina Puntigam said...

That makes sense, since Sugar is a created crystal and rock is a mined crystal. I wonder if there would be a difference between a salt like sea salt and table salt??? I can't wait until mine is old enough to do things like this with. :)