Friday, March 21, 2008

Meditation on Christ's Arrest




After Judas betrayed Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, he was led away to the house of the high priest. The soldiers mocked him and beat him.
While it was still night, Jesus would have been held prisoner, waiting for his trial. This picture is of a hole in the basement of Caiaphas' house. It is just big enough for a man to be lowered into--it is too narrow to provide room to sit--one has to stand up inside.
This is probably where Jesus would have been held.

While at our Maundy Thursday vigil this morning, I read Psalm 88. I'll bet Jesus was quite familiar with the Psalms, as they were the hymnal of the Jews. I wonder if these words came to his mind as he waited in the darkness.

Oh Lord, the God who saves me, day and night I cry out before you; turn your ear to my cry.
For my soul is full of trouble and my life draws near the grave. I am counted among those who go down to the pit; I am like a man without strength. I am set apart with the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom you remember no more, who are cut off from your care.

You have put me in the lowest pit, in the darkest depths. Your wrath lies heavily on me; you have overwhelmed me with all your waves. You have taken from me my closest friends, and have made me repulsive to them. I am confined and cannot escape; my eyes are dim with grief.

But I cry to you for help, O Lord; in the morning my prayer comes before you.

I wonder if these words were on his lips, as he spent the remainder of the night in the pit.

No comments: